Gone are the days when using a simple password was enough to keep your documents and accounts safe and secure. Today, you need to use strong and unique passwords for every website and platform you use. But how do you keep track of all those passwords, especially when you have multiple accounts? This is where password managers come in handy. These tools can help you store the login credentials of all your accounts in one place. And one of the best password managers out there is 1Password.
1Password has always been a popular choice among both individuals and businesses because of its security features and ease of use. However, it lacked one essential security feature that was only available in a few other password managers: Passkey support. But that’s no longer the case. The latest version of 1Password now includes Passkey support, and it’s a game-changer!
What is Passkey, and why is it important?
Passkey is a new password less authentication method that replaces passwords with cryptographic keys. With Passkey, you no longer have to remember passwords or even come up with them. Instead, you use a key pair: one public and one private. The private key is stored securely on your device, and the public key is shared with the online service you want to access.
Passkey support is essential because it provides an additional layer of security to your online accounts. Passkeys are unique to each individual, and no one else can use them to access your accounts. They are much harder to beat than passwords since they don’t rely on any memorized character string.
How does Passkey work in 1Password?
To use Passkeys in 1Password, you need to do a few things:
- First, sign up for a 1Password account if you haven’t already. You can choose between a personal or business account.
- Once you have an account, create a new vault in 1Password, and select Passkey instead of a password.
- Make sure that you download the 1Password desktop or mobile app (depending on your preference) and install them on your device.
- Enable the Passkey option in the 1Password app.
- You can now access your account by simply authenticating with your device’s biometrics or entering a short passphrase.
The best thing about using 1Password with Passkey is that you don’t have to remember any passwords anymore. Also, since the Passkey is unique to you, there’s no risk of someone else using your account.
What are the benefits of using Passkey?
Using Passkey in 1Password brings several benefits, including:
- Increased security: Passkeys are much harder to hack than traditional passwords, making it virtually impossible for hackers to access your accounts.
- Convenient and easy to use: Since you don’t have to remember any passwords, logging into your accounts is much simpler and less time-consuming.
- Password less authentication: With Passkey, you no longer have to rely on traditional passwords, which can be easily guessed or hacked.
- Cross-platform compatibility: Passkey works across all devices and platforms that support 1Password.